WordCamps are made of volunteers, so we’re always happy to hear from excited people who want to help out with WordCamp Ottawa but aren’t sure how. Here’s your chance!
Volunteers receive a complimentary ticket to WordCamp Ottawa 2017 for helping with the following activities:
- Setup: In general, all volunteers are expected to come in at 7am Saturday to help set up chairs and registration, as this is when most of the work takes place! No worries if you can’t lift 50lbs or run a mile a minute – there are plenty of small easy tasks.
- Teardown: help us clean up and take down any equipment/tables we have set up.
- Registration and Greeters: help manage the registration table, and to make sure attendees are registered and receive their badges and gifts. We also need people to act as ambassadors in the venue and help lost people find the rooms they are looking for.
- Room Hosts: help keep speakers on time, stock the room with water or supplies they need, and let us know if there are problems in the room, such as A/V equipment failure. This is one of the best positions since you get to watch sessions while doing your task!
- Video Recording and Processing: help keep the cameras running for each session. You have (a respectable bit of) creative license to zoom in on the slides or follow the speaker around on stage. People who love filming for YouTube might like this role. We’re also looking for one volunteer to actively produce the videos after the Camp.
If you’d like to volunteer for these roles, please complete the application form on the Volunteer Application page, and our volunteer coordinator Kristin will be in touch via email.
Happiness Bar Volunteering
Are you a WordPress expert? Do you like helping others and contributing to the open source community? The Happiness Bar is where you should shine!
The Happiness Bar is a special activity at WordCamp where local and visiting WordPress experts offer help and advice to other attendees who come up to the Bar with their WordPress questions.
It’s a lot of fun and a great way to meet new people, show them how much you know, and help give back to the open source community in an easy and approachable way. Happiness Bar volunteers don’t get free attendance because it’s a fun and rewarding activity on its own.
To be a Happiness Bar volunteer this year, simply have a seat at the Happiness Bar — no registration needed! We will have little signs or stickers to help identify you as the expert you are 🙂